3 self-governing rules for posting

Be kind to your Social Media neighbor.

Who is my Social Media Neighbor...Everyone

I remember the first time I ever interacted online with Social Media. It was in the early days of Facebook when only students were allowed to have accounts. As a struggling college student just trying to make it through the next quarter, I found my time being consumed by looking at long-gone social media platforms such as Apartment 107, mySpace, and "the old" Facebook.

Social Media has value, but what has taken me almost 12 years to learn is my online interactions carry with them the same weight as if I was talking in person. As a society, I think we're still trying to figure that out. But as I grow older, I know that there are certain things I won't do anymore.

For one, Social Media tends to make users believe that their opinion always matters, and everyone needs to hear it. I generally think though most people don't act this way in person (unless you are a child), so why should we do it online? When someone showcases their brand new shoes or shows off their new car in person, rarely does anyone point out the flaws. Most people are polite and tend to keep their opinions to themselves. Social media should not be different. 

The other day I posted about how cool I thought the new Tesla Cybertruck was. I genuinely was excited by it. But a few individuals decided to rain on my parade. These examples are the tamest of posts, but you get the idea…

 Now I’ll admit that I’m guilty of doing the same on other’s pages. I’d like to think in the history of Facebook I haven’t been rude, but my conduct on social media has been awkward at best. I’m also not above pointing the finger at myself. I’ve chosen this post because it is non-political, non-religious, and kind of non-controversial. I’ve witnessed much more vitriol on a political post or religious post. In my humble opinion is the worst of the worst the internet has to offer.

So here are three rules I have chosen to follow...

#1 If you have nothing nice to say, don’t say anything at all. The old adage rings true online. As a society I feel like we’ve forgotten this.

If someone posts a genuine interest (no matter what it is) on their own page, I will refrain from commenting on it. Unless I can invoke rule #2.

#2 I will find something good about people's interests, so we can take joy and celebrate their interests together.

Finding a way to connect with people allows people to open up, opening up leads to meaningful interactions and relationships.

#3 if someone negatively comments (or generally just dumps on what I find interesting) on my posts, I will assume they have something constructive to say and entertain their opinion.

“Blessed are the peacemakers” Conflict  resolution should be in an evangelists blood. I find the easiest way to dissolve unpleasantness in a discussion is to see it from someone else’s point of view.

As a self-proclaimed Christian, I find myself being upset by the negativity of what I see on social media. But, if I want to change the world for the better, I have to start with me. The best thing I can do is limit my contribution to the negativity. As a personal rule of thumb, I have made a concerted effort to treat other people's posts as their space...their home if you will. How would you treat your neighbor in their house?

Luke 5:43-48 
"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes sun rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet your brethren only what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so?"

Comments